Thursday, July 3, 2008

Movie Madness


It's movie maddness at our house! I have been showing backyard movies for friends and family. It all started when I wanted to do a Sound of Music Sing-a-long like at the Hollywood Bowl. I have attended the one at the bowl for the last 6 years. I thought I would be traveling to England in Sept. at the same time of the Bowl's showing so I didn't want to miss out. Unfortunately, my friends are unable to accompany me (plus the dollar stinks over there!) so I will be able to attend at the Bowl with 9 of my friends. I bought a projector from http://www.circutcity.com/ for $400 plus a free screen and then I purchased Fender PA-150 speakers on ebay. Viola! Instant movie theatre!
Here I am with the winners of the Sound of Music costume contest. They are "Brown paper packages tied up with string!"

I LOVE planning the table decor and menu. I invite people to bring a picnic dinner. I usually have fixin's for s'mores complete with roasting forks and fire pit.





For the screening of "When Harry Met Sally", I served apple pie with strawberry ice cream on the side, of course! It was a New Year's theme. It was 95 degrees at night-definetly NOT like winter in New York!


For "Wallace & Gromit: Curse of the Were Rabbit", I offered cheese, crackers and veggies to my guests. The kids even roasted the veggies!



This is from Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark--Snakes everywhere!!!


I'm planning an Oklahoma! Sing-a-long on July 26 and invite the people to dress as a farmer or cowboy and bring a pie to share.
I even had a showing of Mary Poppins!


On August 16, I will have a Grease Sing-a-long and have everyone dress as their favorite Pink Lady or T-bird. I will also have a sundae bar!



With the cost of gas and movie prices, this is a fun alternative to entertain.

5 comments:

Cindy@Cutepinkstuff said...

Oh my! I have been wanting to buy a movie projector to show outdoor movies! A few years ago, our friends brought over their projector and we showed a movie on a white sheet draped over our deck arbor! Amateur-ish, but loads of fun! You are my kind of party gal! Can I come to your next one? Giggle. I love throwing parties, too! Thanks for stopping by my blog with such kind words!

Karin said...

How fun!!! I want to come and make smores... :) Thanks so much for coming by my blog....I love yours! So much fun...I'll be back! Karin@creativechaos

Angela McRae said...

Wow, your party ideas are just incredible, and could easily be adapted to tea parties -- except maybe for Indiana Jones and the snakes, ha! (And thanks for visiting my tea blog!)

Bonita said...

I'm majorly impressed. Your tablescapes remind me of Sandra Lee from the Food Network with her Semi-Homemade show.

Kendra@My Insanity said...

Mr. Linky is down again, so I have been reading through your blog to find the links you posted so I can get them up on my site. But I just have to say that your backyard movie nights look like soooo much fun! I bet your kids and guests are in heaven. And I'm so impressed that you can plan a fun event so often! Maybe I'll have to invest in a projector one of these days!