Sunday, November 22, 2009

Surf and Safari

We celebrated Sheridan's birthday by having a safari themed party at the Santa Barbara Zoo. The colors were fuschia, orange and lime and it was reflected in the decor, cupcakes and favors. Since balloons are not allowed in the zoo (it's a hazard to the animals) I used paper lanterns to decorate. I tied them onto bamboo poles and added a banner I bought on Etsy.
I used chocolate brown tablecloths with satin runners in fuschia, orange and lime. I used raffia placemats, colored plates and napkins and made custom chocolate animal shaped lollipops. Even the water bottles had a custom giraffe band and "Go Wild" sticker. I got the glass vases from the Dollar Store and wrapped it in giraffe print scarpbook paper. I bought funky feather branches from the flower mart and Gerbera daisies from Costco to complete the arrangement. I spray painted plastic animals in fuschia, lime and orange and then "glitterized" them and they sat on the table with natural sea shells which was a nod to the fact that we were on the shore.

The guests stuffed different kinds of animals and dressed them in zoo keeper outfits. I machine embroidered nylon shopping bags with each guests name so them could carry their new friend home in it. We played Feed-the-Frog relay and Cottonball Scoop. We even had a rabbit named Peter come and visit the kids.

Lunch was pizza and we had cupcakes for dessert. I forgot to take some pictures of them because my wonderful friend, Jen Wilson, is a professional photographer and took pictures for me. After opening gifts, the entire party took a ride on the zoo train.

Sheridan loves animals and had such a great time at the zoo! Her lion shirt is from WalMart and it is an Eric Carle design. I will post more pictures from Jen when I get them :)

10 comments:

Polka Dot Moon said...

Looks like another fabulous party! Perfect place, perfect weather. Happy Birthday Sheridan :)

Joanne Kennedy said...

Looks like everything came out just darling! I'm sure everyone had a great time.

Hugs,
Joanne

jamie@giggledustparties said...

Great Job Donna! Everything looks great and it sounds like Sheridan and her guests had a wonderful time.

Unknown said...

So cute and so creative. I love it. Thank You for sharing this!

http://stayhomeandplay.blogspot.com

Kira Franz-Knight said...

Hey Donna...Surf & Safari ROCKS, but mostly I'm excioted tah otehr houses have elves... :) yeah for Clarence and Benjamin!

LaToya said...

I love the colors in this party!

Melissa Lester said...

What a wonderful party! I love your color scheme! Just from seeing her in pictures, it looks like the party matched your daughter's vibrant personality. I will have to remember your creative use of paper lanterns in place of balloons -- I think it looks much better! I loved seeing her fairy party also. This is such an inspiring place to visit!

dana said...

Happy Day After Thanksgiving! I saw your great photos on FB...it looks like a wonderful family day for you! LOVE Sheridan's Safari party, Donna! Everything was so cute! I enjoyed seeing your previous post, too, and finding out how your business came about!

It looks like you are keeping very busy, too! L, Dana

Ingrid said...

Love it!!

Katie said...

What a fun place to have a party, I love Santa Barbara! I enjoyed seeing your creative ways to make the table and it sounds like you had very fun and interactive activities.